"If Rotary is going to be relevant then we have to be looking at the environment, and do what we can in our own communities.”
- Shirley Robertson, Co-Chair of the North Vancouver Canada Day Planning Committee
How do we achieve a zero waste event?
- Green Chair Recycling has recycling stations set up all around Waterfront Park on Canada Day. Their volunteers help attendees sort their recycling into the appropriate receptacles and to ensure all the waste ends up where it needs to be.
- The Rotary Club of Lions Gate provides a water station to fill up water bottles and reduce the use of plastic. We strongly encourage you to bring your own water bottles!
- All of our food vendors support our zero waste goal by only using packaging that is biodegradable, compostable, and plastic-free. They also respect our event wide ban on Styrofoam.
- New to this year's event, The Bicycle Valet will be on site providing free and secure bike parking! Similar to a coat-check, they take your bike and provide you with a claim stub which you then bring back when you want to have your bike returned to you.
It is truly a team effort, but is absolutely worth it!
How can you help?
- Walk, Bike, or take transit to the event! Waterfront park is located directly beside the Sea Bus and the Lonsdale Quay bus terminal. Plus, we have The Bicycle Valet on site to ensure that your bike is secure while you enjoy the Celebration!
- Bring your own reusable water bottles! An Amrak filtration system will be on site and available to refill your water bottles for free throughout the day.
- RECYCLE! RECYCLE! RECYCLE! We will have lots of easily accessible recycling receptacles for your convenience. You can even bring your small household batteries and light bulbs to be recycled.
- Be mindful of the sensitive marine environment on which the event is located.